Wednesday 11 December 2013

I remember...

Almost year ago I remember scanning my newsfeed on Facebook, and coming across a few teacher bloggers who had written something about being saddened by the event that took place in Newtown. Not sure what they were referring to, I quickly turned on CNN. I sat there in shock, not able to look away, as my then 1 1/2 year old son napped soundly in the next room.

The events of that day shook everyone to the core, I am sure, but being a teacher, it certainly effects you in a whole different way. It happened in our "home".You start to question yourself, "What would I do?", What if it happened here?", "How can a school, of all places, not be safe?", and the question that I'm sure came to every parent's mind, "What if it had been my child?"

I thought of all the families whose babies wouldn't be coming home from school that day. The absence of the excited voices telling their parents about their day and the things their teachers had taught them. I thought about the teachers who made the ultimate sacrifice, because their immediate instinct was, and always will be, to protect their students...their children.

I would never pretend to understand what the staff, students and families of Sandy Hook Elementary went through that day, and continue to go through. It is such a unimaginable tragedy, that we hope never happens again.

So what can we do to show our support to the victims of Sandy Hook? It's always something that starts out small that can often make the largest impact, and I love how the people of Newtown have asked people to show their support.



The people of Newtown, CT, have asked  people to commit  random acts of kindness on December 14 to honor their teachers and students.

What will your random act of kindness be? I would love to hear about it.

Be safe, and keeping doing what you do.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment