Wednesday 5 March 2014

Math is Real Life - March 2014 Edition

 I am happy to once again join up with the fabulous linky hosted by Miss Math Dork, 4mulafun, The Teacher Studio, and Teaching to Inspire in 5th! 


Here we are the first week of March...and it is still WINTER! I'm not one to complain about the weather but this year is enough to give anyone the "winter blues". At least for this month's post I was able to stay warm by the oven as I had a little baking marathon.

I officially worked my last day on February 28, and am now awaiting the arrival of our second child. The best thing I ever did before my son was born was have an all day baking/cooking marathon with my sister-in-law. Having my freezer stocked with prepared meals for dinner, and baking for breakfast made a huge difference after baby arrived! So here I am entering nesting phase for the 2nd time...so I've made a list of things to make and freeze over the next few days in preparation for life with a newborn. At least I will know that while I am busy feeding baby, my husband and son won't starve!

First up, we love muffins for breakfast in our house, so I pulled out my recipe box and decided to make some Buttermilk Berry muffins (since buttermilk just happened to be on sale last week - BONUS!). Now, when I bake, I want it to be worthwhile, so I usually double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe to make sure I am going to have enough to last us awhile. So, here come my math skills into play. I needed to determine how much of each ingredient I would need to make a double recipe. After a few calculations I was ready to bake.


In the end I decided to make 2 separate double batches, one cranberry orange, and one lemon blueberry. Therefore, I technically had to calculate a quadruple recipe, just to make sure I had enough of all my ingredients before I started baking.

Here are the final products. They turned out fluffy and delicious, even with a couple healthy substitutions of apple sauce and oat bran.

I ended up keeping one dozen out to eat, and froze 3 dozen for those inevitable mornings when we will be too sleep deprived to make anything for breakfast.


So there, you have it...math and food...not a new concept by any means, but I find students always relate to something when food is made a part of the equation.

Next up for me, is a double batch of chili, and a double batch of spaghetti sauce...I have to keep my math skills sharp while on maternity leave the next little while.

 


6 comments:

  1. Great application for math! Enjoy your maternity leave!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will definitely enjoy my time at home!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Kim! Now I'm hungry...

    I can't wait to see pics of the new little one and I'm sure that will be a mathematical post in and of itself! :)

    Jennifer Smith-Sloane
    4mulaFun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If baby arrives before next month's post, I already have an idea how to make it all about him/her!

      Delete
  3. Kim those look delicious!! Thanks so much for linking up with us AND cannot wait to see and hear all about the new little one! Best wishes!!

    Mathematically yours,
    Jamie aka MissMathDork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jamie! Always a pleasure to link up with you guys!

      Delete